Camping, Cabins & Teepees
What is your preferred 'get in touch with nature' adventure?
- Elk Island Retreat & Tipi Camping - Located just 3 km from Elk Island National Park, about 20 minutes from Fort Saskatchewan, this campground features RV sites, tenting, Tipis, and Trappers Cabins. Amenities include showers, laundry facilities, outhouses, horse shoes and trails. Some of the RV sites are a little close together, but the tenting, tipis and cabins are lovely and private.
- Fort Lions Campground (Turner Park) - Small 24 site campground located right in Fort Saskatchewan. Some tenting sites are available. There are washrooms, showers and the campground is located next to Turner Park, a popular river valley park among the locals. The playground is in Turner Park and there is a great trail system located through the river valley.
- Half Moon Lake Resort - Located about 15 minutes south-east of Sherwood Park, we’ve heard that the new owners have really cleaned it up. It is a great place for kids with lots to do (paddle boat, mini-golf, playground, horse shoes and fishing). Lots of amenities, including hot showers, flush toilets and a store on site. Day use passes are available, as well as group camping sites, daily, weekly and seasonal sites. There is a beach, but it is not an ideal spot for swimming or fishing.
- Kawtihk RV Retreat - This small RV resort has 58 treed and private sites, located about 20 minutes southwest of Sherwood Park, on the shores of Hastings Lake. The resort has had some mixed reviews over the years, and some changes in ownership. There are some amenities, a playground, flush toilets, hot showers and an onsite store. Daily and seasonal sites are available, as well at two cottages undergoing renovations. There is a small beach, but Hastings Lake is a small lake in Central Alberta and not ideal for swimming or fishing. It is a popular area for bird watching and canoeing.
- Lindbrook Stargazer Campground - Located about 30 minutes from Sherwood Park, this great little campground is actually in Beaver County, closer to Tofield than Sherwood Park, but it’s a great spot for a quick retreat from the city. 30 sites, 3 group sites, flush toilets, showers and outhouses. Amenities include a pool, volleyball area, playground and sani-dump. The campground is popular among families, so book early.
Parks and Rec Site Campgrounds
- Cooking Lake-Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area - Three group tenting sites available for educational youth groups only.
- Elk Island National Park – Astotin Lake Campground - Elk Island is about ½ hour from Sherwood Park or Fort Saskatchewan. Camp among the bison! 64 unserviced sites, with free firewood, washrooms with hot showers and flush toilets. Group camping, teepee camping and oTentiks are all available. There is a nearby playground, golf course, lots of great trails, a lake (not suitable for swimming) and lots of exploring to do in the park. The lake features beautiful sunsets and is popular for canoeing and kayaking.
- Elk Island National Park – Oster Lake Backcountry Camping - Hike in tenting sites only, a beautiful spot along Oster Lake, a waterfowl sanctuary. Great wildlife viewing opportunities. *Note that water is not available, you will need to bring your own.
- Strathcona County Wilderness Centre - Walk-in camping only, for individuals and groups, some sites with bunk houses. The lodge itself is also available for rental with 41 beds in dorm-type accommodation. The area is popular for its interpretive trails, cross country skiing and the recent addition of disc golf.
Is Your Business Name Missing?
Want to make sure your favourite campground gets added? Basic business listings and links to your website are free within their categories.
Want to advertise? Featured ads are also available - learn more.
All photos are copyright @ explorestrathconacounty.com or used with permission. Please contact us for permission to use.