"Even the tiniest Poodle or Chihuahua is a wolf at heart." - Dorothy Hinshaw
Off-Leash Dog Parks
Need to give you little fella more exercise? We've got some terrific regional off-leash dog parks. Let them run, be free!
- Ardrossan Regional Off-Leash Area - It does not have a separate area for small or shy dogs - Deermound does. Located across the street from the spray park at 80 -1 avenue in Ardrossan.
- Deermound Off-Leash Regional Park - Deermound Off-Leash Regional Park is 3 km south of Wye Road on Highway 21 is Strathcona County’s original off-leash dog park. Google maps should get you there. There are open fields as well as natural trails. *Note that there are fenced areas, but the area is not fully fenced.
- Heritage Hills Off-Leash Dog Park - A fully-enclosed fenced area on the south side of Heritage Drive, located at 260 Heritage Drive, Sherwood Park.
- Sally Stewart Park Off-Leash Area - Sally Stewart Park recently opened up on Broadview Drive, in Buckingham Business Park (near Costco, behind Fun Park Amusement Centre).
- West River's Edge Dog Park - The City of Fort Saskatchewan has an excellent off-leash dog park, West River’s Edge Dog Park, on the south-west end of the City. Featuring 3 - 4 huge fenced areas, some obstacles and lots of room to run.
Seasonal Off-Leash Parks
There are also some seasonal neighborhood off-leash locations in Sherwood Park.
- Emerald Hills Diamond #1 (4501 Emerald Drive)
- Brentwood Boarded Rink (28 Heron Road)
- McGhan Park Boarded Rink (441 Meadowview Court)
- Kinsmen/Westboro Boarded Rink (1011 Strathcona Drive)
- Cottonwood Park (290 Fir Street)
- Sherwood Heights Boarded Rink (50 Spruce Avenue)
Dog Walking / Pet Sitting Services
Don't have the time or ability to take your dog out? We have some great local dog walking, pet companion services that can help you out.
- Fort Dog Fit - Fort Sask dog walking, pet sitting and pet taxi service providing care for dogs, cats and small family pets.
- One Pack Pets - Sherwood Park private walks, group pet trips and vacation pet check-in services.
- Happy at Home Pet Sitting - Sherwood Park dog walking, pet sitting and vacation pet checks.
- Rover - Like the AirBnB app, but for pets.
- Trusted Housesitters - Match-making site for housesitting and pet sitting, rolled into one.
- WissPurring Tails - Pet and house sitting services, dog walks - serving Strathcona County.
Animal Rescue and Lost Pets
Why get your dog licensed? Aside from it being the law, if your dog were ever to get lost or go missing, having him/her licensed will increase your chances of getting them back home safely. Tags help people quickly identify your pooch. The license fees also help support the care and adoption of lost and unclaimed dogs and the fees are typically quite inexpensive. Licensed dogs in Strathcona County will also be returned free of charge to their owners, if lost (once per license year).
Photos are are copyright @explorestrathconacounty.com or used with permission - please get in touch for purchase or permission to use.