Government & Media
They seem to go hand in hand, the news-makers and those that report it. No politics here, just some quick links for reference and for those who might be new to the area.
On a national level, the region is known as the riding of Sherwood Park-Fort Saskatchewan. Our currently elected local representative, known as "Member of Parliament" or MP, is Garnett Genuis. His political affiliation is Conservative.
- The Canadian Elections Act determines fixed date procedures for federal elections, a minimum of every four years. Elections can be called earlier than that. You can read more at - Elections Canada.
Provincial representatives in Alberta are called "Members of the Legislative Assembly" or MLAs. The City of Fort Saskatchewan, Sherwood Park and Strathcona County-Sherwood Park are all considered different constituencies and there are three different elected officials. Geographic boundary maps and other facts can be found online at Alberta Elections.
The Alberta election took place in April 2019 and a new government was formed, led by Premier Jason Kenney (party affiliation UCP).
- Fort Saskatchewan MLA - Jackie Armstrong-Homeniuk (Party Affiliation - UCP)
- Sherwood Park MLA - Jordan Walker (Party Affiliation - UCP)
- Strathcona County-Sherwood Park MLA - Nate Glubish (Party Affiliation - UCP)
Municipal governments are typically non-partisan and candidates are usually elected as independents. The provincial government sets fixed dates of every four years for municipal elections. The next municipal general election in Alberta will take place October 18, 2021. Read more.
- City of Fort Saskatchewan - Residents are represented and governed by one Mayor and 6 Councillors, divided into 6 wards. The current Mayor is Gale Katchur.
- Strathcona County - Residents are represented and governed by one Mayor and 8 Councillors, divided into 5 wards in Sherwood Park and 3 rural wards. The current Mayor is Rod Frank.
Local News Providers
We're actually really lucky to be served by so many local media outlets! Each has its own little niche market, with the largest publication being the Sherwood Park News (a division of the national Post Media chain). Television is typically covered by the Edmonton area stations, and bigger regional news stories are also usually picked up by the Edmonton news media.
Fort Saskatchewan Record - The Record is published & delivered to city residents every Thursday, with drops in Bruderheim, Lamont and Gibbons. A national postmedia.com publication, sister to Sherwood Park News.
Mix 107.9 FM & Fort Sask Online - Fort Saskatchewan radio station and online news source. Produced by Golden West Broadcasting - a Western Canadian (prairie provinces) media outlet with head office in Manitoba.
Sherwood Park News - Sherwood Park News is published twice weekly, Tuesdays & Fridays. Most residents in town still enjoy free delivery to their mailboxes. Produced by the national chain, postmedia.com.
Strathcona Bugle - Established in 2017, the Bugle is new on the scene, an independent and purely local newspaper. Look for them at our local businesses or online. Serving Sherwood Park, Strathcona County & Fort Saskatchewan.
Sturgeon Creek Post - Serving Fort Saskatchewan, featuring news and a community calendar, published Wednesdays. Independent & local.
All photos are copyright @ explorestrathconacounty.com or have been used with permission. Please get in touch for purchase or permission to use - except for the jokes - please feel free to share those and help make the world a better place, one little joke at a time. 🙂